Teatro Aveirense

Teatro Aveirense | History

History
Teatro Aveirense was inaugurated on 5th March 1881, an occasion marked by the presence of the D. Maria II National Theatre Company. Thereafter, the cultural activity was intense and diversified, with the opening of film sessions in 1912, an area with a strong presence in the theatre’s history ever since.
Having obtained the classification of Public Interest Building in 2002, Teatro Aveirense has undergone several improvement interventions, the first of which occurred in 1919, directed by Engineer Von Haff. Another renovation followed, between 1947 and 1949. This project was exceedingly more complex and was led by the architect, Ernesto Camilo Korrodi. The last renovation occurred between 2000 and 2003, when Teatro Aveirense was transferred to the City Council of Aveiro, with a project designed by architect, João Carreira, which reformulated the space, providing it with the necessary conditions for an optimal reception of artists and audiences.

The Theatre reopened on 23rd October 2003, providing the city with a municipal space with excellent technical conditions and a professional staff with skills in performing arts. Until 2016, the space was managed by the municipal public company, TEMA - Teatro Municipal de Aveiro (Municipal Theatre of Aveiro).